[Asterisk-biz] h323 is a dying standard?

Emilio Panighetti emilio at dorial.com
Wed Jan 26 22:09:14 MST 2005

Actually:

H.323 is an ITU-T Umbrella specification, in the same fashion as ISDN
protocol or the SS7 standard is for TDM networks.
SIP is a protocol pushed by the IETF, so it doesn't have lots of the
baggage of a traditional telephony protocol and is engineer around the
HTTP/HTML communication concept.

I agree that H.323 might be over engineered, but it offers some nice
features that I don't see in SIP, like it carries the full Q.931
completion codes in the same way ISDN or SS7 does. It uses TCP instead
of UDP but that is better when metering calls with millisecond
precision. It also lessens the chance of hung calls by IP network
congestion, etc.

Working with H.323 for the past 5 or so years, I agree that SIP is so
much simpler to work with, and H.323 seems more complex that needs to
be, but once it works, is very, very solid.

H.323 wasn't created by Cisco. Actually, circa 1998, when Cisco came
out with AS5300 routers, most others were using proprietary
technologies. H.323 was being pushed mostly for video-conferencing
systems (reason why Polycom is an early adopter of H.323).
SIP is fairly new compared to H.323/H.245 and was originally developed
for multiparty conferencing at Columbia U.
Because SIP is maturing, and is easier to work with and has some call
control features that were designed from the ground up as an IP
protocol, it will over time replace H.323, and many carriers are
migrating to SIP. A prime example is Level3, which operates exclusively
in SIP.
Most 'big iron' hardware actually does SIP.
Legacy equipment like Vocaltec or Clarent are actually Windows-PC
based, and never did H.323 too well anyways (Because of their
proprietary software stack, not because of the ill-choice of OS).
(Hint: Maybe somebody could make * run on these legacy hardware), and
IMHO weren't well suited to compete with appliances from Cisco, etc.

E.