[Asterisk-biz] Meridian and Asterisk

Daniel Grizzard dgrizzard at floridaortho.com
Tue Jan 25 18:15:43 MST 2005

Thanks for the suggestions Scott. I'll post what I wrote to someone who
personally asked me my goals and what not.

It'll give anyone wondering a better idea of what I'm looking to do..

"A couple of main goals I have are to get all of our branch offices on
the same system so it's easier to manage, I see asterisk as a good way
to do this. I also would like everyone to be on the same voicemail
system(currently using callpilot, I don't know if this could still be
used with the branch offices going to asterisk but it would be nice).
Basically what I'm looking at right now is to have someone at a branch
office have an IP phone that connects over our frame relay network to
our main office, then the asterisk uses the 11c to connect out to the
PSTN. My expectations are what I stated before along with anyone being
able to call anyone else in the company via extension numbers, as well
as check voicemail anywhere in the company, and of course manage all
phones from a central location."

Also to answer your questions our branch offices are on the same IP
network via T1 frame relays which some will be increasing to 2 T1s

with multi-link pretty soon. I didn't think about 911 incase one of our
IP circuits went down, I think I would go with your suggestion

of just a single POTS line and analog telephone at each office specific
for 911. Also what I'm looking for right now is a direction to go

in with the meridian system on what I'll need to do. Such as, what
equipment(if any) will I need to add to the 11C? What will I need to do

to the 11C(commands, adding routes, etc.) to have the asterisk use it?
What cards(assuming one of the digium digital cards) will I need for the
asterisk? I read somewhere that one asterisk server will only support
255 devices. My 11C currently has about 500, I'm guessing it won't
matter since its on a different PBX system, but will it? I also had some
questions above in my quote about voicemail and my current callpilot
setup if anyone could enlighten me.

Thanks again for everything,

Daniel

> Scott Lykens wrote:

FWIW, I have an Option 11C tied to an Asterisk system and it works

pretty well using PRI. I then use Nortel's ITG to talk to a remote

location that I will be converting to Asterisk soon.

How do you plan to have the remote locations tied into the central

location?  T1? DSL/Cable modem? In your area you might want to get an

internet T1 from Time Warner Telecom and then use cable modems at each

of your remotes. Ignore this if you've got a good IP network already,

just making suggestions so that you don't have a voice quality

problem.

Another issue you'll want to make sure of is that your remote

locations have access to 911. Being a medical services provider this

is always a good idea and would necessitate either a single phone in

the office tied to a POTS line with stickers on every phone explaining

or a seperate Asterisk server at each location with a single POTS line

in it and contexts to intercept 911 and send it locally. By placing a

server with a POTS line (or even BRI if you like) at each location you

will also provide a backup route into the facility in the event you

have IP trouble and could give you bandwidth efficiencies by using IAX

trunking, assuming the potential exists for more than one call

simultaneously from one location to another.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 10:51:45 -0500, Daniel Grizzard

<dgrizzard at floridaortho.com> wrote:

> Anyone useing a asterisk in this situation: have a main office with a

> Meridian Option 11C and 6 satellite

> offices running norstars, would like to install an asterisk at the
main

> office(not to replace the main

> office option 11C) but to use the meridian at the main office as its
PSTN

> and have all of our sat. offices

> as ip phones only and get rid of the norstar systems..any one doing
this of

> have any information?

This message and any attachments are intended only for use of the addressee and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.  If the reader of the message is not the intended recipient or an authorized representative of the intended recipient. you are hereby notified that any dissemination of this communiucation is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the message and any attachments from your system.