[Asterisk-biz] bellster.net - GREAT advance

Nick Bachmann asterisk at not-real.org
Mon Jan 24 21:09:12 MST 2005

Bob_Bowles wrote:

>>uhmm  im sure if you provide the asterisk logs you can show it
>>originated from someone elses IP
>>

>Pretty expensive risk IMO.  And the best you can hope to prove is that it
>came from "out there" since there is no way an IP address can identify who
>actually made the call (assume stolen bellster credentials on a laptop
>Asterisk box using a pirated IP address).  Your next incoming call on
>Asterisk will start with "Hello, this is Agent Mumblefratz from the FBI ..."

What I think some of the people in this thread are missing is that
Special Agent Mumblefrantz will probably decide to show up in person, if
the call in question is serious, and take you down to the house for a
little "interview" session.  While I'm sure that the whole Bellster
concept is easily explainable, you really don't want to explain it
_after_ Special Agent Mumblefartz shows up at your office (or home, for
that matter) and leads you away for your "interview," while his partner
simultaneously executes his search warrant for your home, office, car,
etc.  So while you'll probably be vindicated, the whole ordeal is
probably not worth it to save a few bucks on your phone bill.  Honestly
folks, nufone is 2c/min! The adventurous can get termination even cheaper!

Also (standard IANL applies...), unless you're a common carrier,
terminating other people's traffic may be legally risky, certainly
civilly and maybe even criminally, depending on the circumstances...

Nick