[Asterisk-biz] bellster.net - GREAT advance

Darren Nickerson darren.nickerson at ifax.com
Mon Jan 24 10:09:02 MST 2005

"Bob_Bowles" <rbowles at gryphonnetworks.com> wrote:

>> Pls enter your routes and start sending traffic for free, it seems to
>> work
> just fine, based on Dundi.
>>
>> www.bellster.net
>
> It is a fun idea but where will the police look when a threatening call is
> made through your home phone line that you just shared to www.bellster.net
> ?
> Obviously the call will appear to have been made by you.

Good point Bob, and well worth underscoring. We (Arlington Hewes and I) ran
into this problem with tpc.int, a free email->fax network that uses MX
records mapped onto the PSTN (long before the days of ENUM). People were
sending harrassing and/or threatening faxes with relative anonymity, and
whenever law enforcement became involved it would be the poor operator of
the local node who was called upon to first prove they weren't sending the
stuff, and second to then help identify the originator.

I admire Jeff's motiviations ... I share them and devoted years of my free
time to tpc.int, but unless he's living in a different world than I am, the
security aspects of this service need to be thought through very, very
carefully.

For more thoughts on why the abuse is inevitable, see:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons

-Darren

--
Darren Nickerson