[Asterisk-biz] Stumped on LD questions......

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Sat Jan 22 13:15:25 MST 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005, Paul wrote:

> >If you can't tell the difference in reliability, you are not their
> >target client. My clients can tell the difference between 99% ASR and
> >90% ASR, and between faxes working 100% of time and 90% of time.
> >
> What I mean is that so far with limited testing I don't see much
> difference except price. I can move this to a good unloaded T-1 at night
> and conduct further tests. Right now I am mostly using these accounts
> for testing/development purposes. I wouldn't go live with anybody
> without running some real tests.
I wonder how hard would it be to test performance of the carrier's
network using old-school "Data-Over-Voice" technique. (I.E. you make a
voice-bearer call but send 56k PCM data over it). At very least you'd be
able to determine frame slips and similar things on the carrier's
network...?

> >Its kind of hard to make a workable pricing model in this day and age, but
> >I agree with your sentiment. There's no such thing as unlimited, whether
> >it is termination or origination or...
> >
> For sure! One provider sells DID's for $8/month and allows up to 4
> simultaneous calls. I figure that an active business with normal weekday
> hours will easily use 10k minute/month because they always have at least
> 1 incoming call active. But then you have to consider the fact that
> outbound is handled differently so maybe this could be used for a
> business that currently has 8 total pots lines. I would expect to see
> cases where people are using this $8 product and averaging more like 30k
> minutes without extending business hours. You can't expect the provider
> to tolerate that. If the law is not on his side about the way he uses
> the word "unlimited", he will have to totally eliminate the "unlimited"
> plans from his product portfolio. I am not talking about usage types
> that are usually mentioned in the fine print. This could be a normal
> local family-owned retail or service business.
Well, my pricing for origination is structured as per-DID fee plus a
per-concurrent-channel fee. DIDs are cheap. PRIs (or IMTs) and switch
ports aren't. If you expect to take entire span at peak hour, expect to
pay for the entire span. :)

I think this is the only way that is far both to client and to carrier.

-alex