[Asterisk-biz] Telecoms feel heat on wiretaps

Race Vanderdecken asteriskbiz at codetyrant.com
Tue Feb 22 17:39:52 MST 2005

The funny thing is that VoIP over the internet is not protected against
wire-tapping by anyone.

Anyone who has VoIP box in the stream is legally allowed to look at all
the data going through their routers and computers.

Experts and courts have always that people should have no reasonable
expectation of privacy across the internet as an unregulated medium.

"But with VoIP, telephone calls become little more than audio files,
which VoIP software can store in the same way that Adobe Photoshop makes
pictures and Microsoft Word makes text documents. It is a virtue of the
digital universe we live in that such files can, and probably will, be
routinely kept on the servers of our employers and telephony providers.

This feature of VoIP software exposes its Achilles' heel. Stored records
have, by longstanding decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court, no
"reasonable expectation of privacy." As a result, searching of those
records with much the same purpose as a wiretap can be conducted without
VoIP calls having any Fourth Amendment protection."
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/WEBONLY/wonews/mar04/0304priv.html

Don't gripe at me. Even Scott McNealy once state that an expectation of
privacy on the internet was foolish.

Look, unregulated means no regulation. No 5 nines of SLA. There is no
911 service guarantee. VoIP over the open internet is free market
telephony, you get what you pay for. If you don't want postal workers
reading your love letters, then don't send them on the back of a
Postcard.

Race "The Tyrant" Vanderdecken