[Asterisk-biz] Flaky service and support

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Mon Feb 21 08:22:32 MST 2005

I changed the subject header. It seems unfair to discuss various
providers but have only one of them named in the subject header of every
post.

Robert Goodyear wrote:

> Seems like the bar is very low when it comes to good service. Not
> surprising I've never seen the equivalent of an SLA from *any* of
> these providers.
>
> They also all seem to have a really um, interesting argument against
> refunds for terrible reliability/quality by using the prepaid payment
> model... it's not like protecting themselves against runaway
> incremental charges and having some mechanism for consumer
> satisfaction recourse are mutually exclusive.
>
> I had a rep from VoicePulse tell me flat out he didn't care that my
> DID was ringing busy/out of service ~40% of the time because "inbound
> minutes are free, so you're not even being charged for that." Nice, huh?
>
> I would very much like to continue this discussion of peoples'
> experiences. I've spent a LOT of time and effort stepping into the
> VoIP world and am pretty shocked at the flakyness of the service
> providers.

I am using 9 providers. I attribute it to research and development
expense. For some of them, the idea of using them in a production
situation would be sadly laughable. I do hope they can do better before
I get to that point.

I see some brilliance and creativity with these providers. I just don't
think they planned well. I don't think any of them have deliberately
scammed me. It could be that if some of them had provided more
information, I would not have established an account with them.

Sometimes the answer I give an overly persistent advertising salesman is
"if you can answer the phone calls for me, I'll buy the ads". You have
to be ready to meet the demand before advertising products and services.
That includes customer support.