[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk for small businesses.

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Fri Feb 18 19:17:19 MST 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Van Meggelen
>asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
>> Jim,
>>
>> Is "tool kit" a product? Is "raw material" a product? I think
>> so, and they all need to look for a place in market to fit,
>> this is called market positioning, this is a process of
>> productization, and that is my point.
>
>I understand your point, I just don't think Asterisk itself is a
>product. You can use it to build products, but in and of itself, it just
>doesn't fit that model.
>
>If it is a product, it is in the same way that any other software
>toolkit is. Microsoft Visual Studio is a product, because you have to
>pay for it. Perl, C++ and such are also used by developers, but they are
>not sold. Can't see how they are products.

So if someone starts charging for Asterisk, then it magically turns into a
product? Perl, C++ aren't products? GCC is a product. The C++ specification
is a product. Emacs is a product.

MS sends me MSDN Universal for free. Does that mean it's not a product?

Money doesn't have anything to do with the definition of products.

Now, if you mean to say Asterisk isn't a boxed retail SKU type of product
that a business manager might grab while at Walmart to install at his office
on Monday, I think everyone would agree with you.

-Michael