[Asterisk-biz] wanted: Canadian local/toll-free DIDs w/diversionheader (rdnis)

Randal Anston packet at iphell.com
Fri Feb 18 10:05:27 MST 2005

> I say all Canadians should contact the Canadian Number Administrator and
> say
> that we want our own toll-free NPA that we can control in Canada.

Good Luck. You mean that 10 person CRTC group of clones? Right. The
group that says Shaw charging $55 a month for Cable phone service is
providing
a highend service ? Right. The group that feels no need to help you until
there is
competition? Regulation by the few for the many = competition? Right. You
mean
the country where it is illegal to watch HBO? Don't hold your breath. The
CRTC
needs to be removed from your entire system. The word competition needs to
mean
something more than talk.

What people in Canada want is a level playing field. That is not what the
CRTC wants.
Competition is the French word for CONTROL.

The CRTC confirmed today that they will not regulate the prices VoIP
providers charge.
The ILECS will still be regulated but, when you cannot get your services
what the heck
does that matter? Not to mention backup power on your ATA devices, Asterisk
servers,
e911, no trans-border 800 calling to 800 numbers that are not normally
available from Canada
and so on.

We are "considering" opening up our Canadian number DID's again but, they
will not have any
sort of service guarantee if we do. What that means is if the line is busy
the line is busy. If the carrier
oversells the connection we will not be able to do anything about it. Since
we do not offer in-country
services no e911 or backup power will be available. So much nonsense for
such a small and very well
connected country. We really feel for the many that have great business
plans in Canada but, suffer from
the CRTC problem.

*** If LiveVoip opens its Canadian DID's again the company will decide
sometime this weekend. As
I said we are only considering our options.

**** Wish Level 3 was in Canada !

Randal Anston
LiveVoip LLC