[Asterisk-biz] Call termination database

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Thu Feb 17 11:10:52 MST 2005

On Thu, 17 Feb 2005, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:

> I wasn't considering NANPA as much as I was the rest of the world :-) In
> NANPA, 99% of the routes are the same cost for nearly everyone (unless
> you are an OC yourself). Alaska, Hawaii and the Caribbean being the
> notable exceptions, of course.
Oh, sorry about that. I do much more domestic than LD, that's why I'm
more concerned with it. I think when you get to certain volume, you
realize that paying per-OCN-tier is more beneficial, because when seller
sells you a blend, they are taking a risk that your ratio will be out of
wack...

> Certainly I could see some value in publishing +1 rates down to NPA-NXX
> level for certain parts of the country (as you say, NECA routes are a
> biggie). I don't think we need to try to duplicate much LERG
> information, though. If I publish a route for +1602, that covers all of
> +1602 unless there are exceptions listed at a more detailed level (if
> there were NECA or cellular at-cost routes here, but there aren't). When
> the routing database is used, if you always do a longest-match-wins,
> then we don't need to list every single NPA-NXX combination, only the
> exceptions.
You'd be surprised how many exceptions are there...

> Same goes for international routes too: +44 is primarily a single rate,
> except for cellular routes and premium numbers, which can be identified
> using a prefix string.
I think unfortunately, everyone has their own rate table, and trying to
unify them won't really help.

On other hand, you can certainly do some cherrypicking based on a database
you are putting together...

-alex