[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk for small businesses.

Alex Pui alex.pui at act-labs.com
Thu Feb 17 01:33:50 MST 2005

Jim,

I totally agree with what you said here. I guess we need to find out what
are Asterisk problems at this point of time and we can work together to
solve it. In my experience it is not much a "product" problem, it is a
"productization" problem.

To learn how to install Asterisk is fun, but to use Asterisk to make money
it is difficult, problems are :
1. There is no perceived value as a total solution or package at the right
size. Unless we can build such value perception for the customers in the
mass market, that is people can easily compare a Cisco model with Asterisk
and then they can compare how much they will have to pay for Cisco and now
how "Less" they need to pay for Asterisk consultant and also the benefits,
we will have no point to say we charge $60 or $100 per hour as nobody can
link the cost and the value together.

2. The education process to customers are killing. Yes, open source is free,
knowledge to set up the system is not, and the cost of education to the
customer about this knowledge will kill most of our business.

Therefore we need to work together to solve these problems (or some other
problems if you want to share) then we can fly. There are not much
successful cases we are hiding, Asterisk business is a lot of fun and
attractive but not that profitable unless someone wants to correct me.

Alex