[Asterisk-biz] Boot Server For Pokycom

Aaron Johnson ajohnson at starnetworks.us
Tue Feb 15 10:00:26 MST 2005

Mark Halverson wrote:

> Is there any software package to create a Boot Server for the polycom
> IP300 phones?

Polycom IP phones can be configured through the keypad, but I highly
suggest you learn how to configure them using an FTP server. There are
several great resources to learn how to do this, voip-info.org being one
of them.

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Polycom%20Phones

> Now, I am not stupid, though me ex-wife would disagree, but I can not
> figure how to setup a boot server, like where do you get the files from?

The page above has a link to a site that you can download the firmware
and template configuration files from, but I have also included it here.
http://www.freedomphones.net/polycom/files/

If you are going to be the one configuring these phones, you absolutely
MUST read the SoundPoint IP SIP Admin Guide. It is included in the ZIP
file with the firmware.

> Where do you tell the phone the Boot Server address? And if I have to
> tell the phone an address, why use automation to program it….
>
> I either need to pay someone to help create a boot server or I need
> some software.
>
> I will be installing about 350 phones over the next two months and
> need some automation to speed this up.

Congratulations on the job. With a bit of research and by reading the
manuals and websites listed above, I am sure you can learn how to
provision the phones yourself.

PS: Most of this post really is pertinent to the Asterisk-Users group.
If you are making an outright job offer, by all means post that in
Asterisk-Biz, but questions on how to configure phones really should go
in Asterisk-Users.

--
Aaron Johnson
Star Networks