[Asterisk-biz] Business Phones

Jim Soriano jsoriano at sumbeach.com
Thu Feb 10 10:43:24 MST 2005

We've just installed one of the new Sipura SPA-841 handsets on our
Asterisk PBX and it seems to deliver a lot of bang for the buck.

It's physically half of the size of the Cisco 7960s that we're also
using, has excellent build quality and "real phone feel".  The keypad
was a little sticky when first used, but it's loosened up nicely.  The
speakerphone function is excellent, and the controls all operate
logically.  Downsides: only one Ethernet port, no PoE (at least I don't
think it supports it) and the LCD angle is non-adjustable -- you sort
have have to have the phone close to you to get a good read angle.
Also, it's a pain to provision.  Seems that Sipura doesn't want to
provide auto-provisioning tools for small quantity purchasers.

But, for less than $99 each (2-lines, another $30 if you want 4-lines)
they provide good value, IMHO.  I'll be buying some more of them.

Regards,

Jim