[Asterisk-biz] Minimum internet connection!

Dinesh Nair dinesh at alphaque.com
Tue Feb 8 02:53:56 MST 2005

On 08/02/2005 17:26 Dinesh Nair said the following:
> On 08/02/2005 06:03 Alen Miketic said the following:
>
>> It was absolutely coincidental that my question came just after this
>> one.  Has anyone verified these IAX2 trunking figures?  25 channels in
>> a 384 pipe doesn't seem right.  Plus, does trunking work, or is there
>> currently a bug with it?
>

> i've managed to duplicate those results with GSM and G.711a/u. see
> asterisk-users for a report, maybe a few months back.

replying to your own email may be bad form, but here goes:

with IAX trunk mode on, i just conducted the following test:

           IAX TRUNK
Asterisk <-------> Asterisk
            GSM
             ^

             +---- stats are for this link

all measurements are one way. to get two way, just double them.

                                 (bits per sec)   (bits per sec)
number of simultaneous calls    total_bitrate    avg_bitrate_per_call
----------------------------    -------------    --------------------
      1                           34800            34800
      2                           49600            24800
      3                           64400            21466
      4                           79200            19800
      5                           94000            18800
     10                          168000            16800

which translates to a fixed 20kbps for IP overhead, and 14.8kbps for the
GSM codec. thus, every additional call on a trunked link just adds 14.8kbps
to the mix, which is consistent with the GSM codec requirements.

dinesh at alphaque.com                (0 0)    http://www.alphaque.com/