[Asterisk-biz] Minimum internet connection!

Robert Jackson rjackson at storge.net
Mon Feb 7 13:45:27 MST 2005

Mohammed Khalil wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What is the minimum internet connection needed to run asterisk, would an ADSL be
> suffecient, and if yes how many internet connection needed to run 25 concurent
> calls.

This question is impossible to answer without some information.
Technically asterisk would perform perfectly even if it had no Internet
connection at all.  The total number of concurrent calls for any given
bandwidth depends on a few things, most notably the codec used and
latency/jitter of connection.

On a fairly reliable T1 (1.54 Mbps up and down) with qos and latency
under 40ms using GSM as the codec we are able to get ~50-65 calls
simultaneously.  This is the limit to our call center at any given time
so it may even support more.

Good luck,

Robert Jackson