[Asterisk-biz] Can you outbound dial over IP - What Hardware is needed?

Dean McEvoy asterix at bookingangel.com
Thu Feb 3 16:44:06 MST 2005

Hi All,

Can asterix be set up to make an outbound automated (i.e. text to speech)
call to people over the net (i.e. using VOIP). They then respond to the call
using the keys on the phone, confirming the order. Is it just a matter of
having a high speed Internet connection and a server. Is there any other
hardware required.

How do you establish a connection between the outbound call from our server
to an analog phone somewhere. i.e. how do you link with the existing PSTN
phone network.. (particularly in Australia if anyone knows). As you may have
guessed I'm no programmer but just need some help conceptualising how it
works so I can put the business case to my directors

Has anyone experienced what kind of call quality you get with outbound
automated call done over an IP network. Is there problems with the tones not
being recognised when people push the keys on their phone to navigate menu
options. Do the standard text to speech engines work with asterix. Like the
AT & T Natural voices.

If anyone can give me an idea of what it costs to implement something like
this and what other contractual arrangements we would have to organise let
me know. (contact me off list if you want to)

We currently deliver outbound calls that confirm orders that are entered
into a system with the internal salespeople who ordered them. We use analog
phone lines from an IVR server running windows based software and with a
dialogic network card. We are looking at expanding our capacity and are
investigating the use of VOIP to minimise costs and provide the service for
our subsidiaries overseas. Most of our other systems are built in PHP and
open source so Asterix looks like a great option..

Would appreciate hearing other peoples experiences.

Regards

Dean McEvoy
dean at bookingangel.com