[Asterisk-biz] Repost: Consulting rate for asterisk work

Leif Madsen leif.madsen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 2 13:35:30 MST 2005

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 11:56:59 -0800, Ed Greenberg <edg at greenberg.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out what the correct rate is for such work.
> I live in Silicon Valley, where costs are high.
>
> Any suggestions appreciated for what an independent contractor would charge
> for such work?(assuming competency?)

>From what I have been able to tell, competent Asterisk consultants
tend to charge between $60 -> $150 an hour, depending on who is paying
and their level of competency.

When someone approaches me for consulting, my rates are generally in
the middle of that, but am flexible depending on who the customer is
(small or medium business, type of work required, etc..).  For some
smaller companies a flat rate bill makes them more comfortable,
however you have to protect yourself by clearly specifying what you
are providing for that flat rate. You don't want to get caught up in
having to provide support which you are essentially not being paid
for.

I'm sure others who have been doing consulting for longer than I will
have many more suggestions.

Thanks,
Leif Madsen.
http://www.leifmadsen.com