[Asterisk-biz] Question to Israeli regulator

CC Asterisk cc.asterisk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 13:21:46 MST 2005

I remember seeing someone by the name of Yair on this list awhile ago - who
said he was an Israeli regulator.
If he is still on the list maybe he can answer my question.

When visiting Israel I noticed that some calling cards can be accessed by a
1-800 number and some others by a 1-809 number. Both were toll free when
calling from a Bezeq number. However when I called from my rented Cellcom
mobile the 1-800 number was charged as 22 agorot and the 1-809 about 3 times
as much (full air time). When I asked the cell phone company why this is -
they replied that the Ministry of Communications had forced the  cell phone
companies to charge 22 agorot for a1-800 but they did not mandate a fixed
charge for a 1-809 which is also "tollfree"

The interesting thing is that the 1-809 is used by foreign calling card
companies as an access number - and I assumed that it was toll free as
advertised!
It seems to me that this puts the foreign companies at a unfair
disadvantage!
Thanks
Mark Lifschitz
New York (frequent visitor to Israel)