[Asterisk-biz] distribution of asterisk

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Fri Dec 23 10:38:05 MST 2005

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 12:41 -0500, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Dec 2005, trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>
> > That may be however when others get involved, like netbsd that may not
> > be the case.  And anyone can take a BSD license and keep that clause.
> > Without hearing that from the current holders I wouldnt want to risk it.
> > So the NetBSD part may still hold, after all it is clear they did modify
> > the license to include 'netbsd' as part of it.
> NetBSD, in fact, have moved from 4-clause to 3-clause license, two years
> ago.  (2003/08/02).

Yeah what is in asterisk is copyright 1997.  I do not know if there is a
difference in the software itself or if netbsd went retroactive in terms
of the advertising clause.

I do know however that the license as shipped with the gpl version of
asterisk is 4 clause, and that is the license that is presented when I
get a copy.  Granted the code in question has likely not changed in 8
years, however unless netbsd went retroactive and there are no claims
against that software elsewhere, the 'and' qualifier is important, then
you cant just omit that part of the license.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378