[Asterisk-biz] distribution of asterisk

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Dec 22 16:55:52 MST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-22 at 17:41 -0600, Kevin P. Fleming wrote:
> trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:
>
> > For example there is code taken from NetBSD as well as the Regents of
> > California and it is required that credit be given.  Specifically their
> > license states in part:
> >  * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
> >       copyright notice, this list of conditions and the
> >       following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other
> >       materials provided with the distribution.
> >  * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of
> >       this software must display the following acknowledgement:
> >       This product includes software developed by the
> >       University of California, Berkeley and its contributors.
>
> What code did you find that is licensed under the 3-clause (original)
> BSD license?

that specifically was part of editline, if I were to distribute a binary
only version (legal under the gpl so long as I have a written offer good
for 3 years for code at cost basically) I need to include that to the
credits file or other suitable place.  Any advertising I do needs to
have  that as well should I advertise a feature (like the cli).

But there are other issues as well for example, section um 1? of the gpl
requires that when a copyright is displayed (like when you do 'asterisk
-r') you state that its GPL licensed (although not all of asterisk is so
licensed, some is lgpl like some cdr stuff, some like ilbc doesnt state
what license is valid only copyright notices) and that there is no
warantee unless one is provided.

I just wanted to know what I had to do to legally distribute asterisk to
my customers.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378