[Asterisk-biz] distribution of asterisk

trixter aka Bret McDanel trixter at 0xdecafbad.com
Thu Dec 22 16:24:51 MST 2005

I was looking in the code and became concerned with the state of
asterisk using software without complying to the various licenses
invovled.  I was wondering if anyone had any documentation on all the
changes that are required so I can distribute it legally.

For example there is code taken from NetBSD as well as the Regents of
California and it is required that credit be given.  Specifically their
license states in part:
 * 2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
      copyright notice, this list of conditions and the
      following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other
      materials provided with the distribution.
 * 3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of
      this software must display the following acknowledgement:
      This product includes software developed by the
      University of California, Berkeley and its contributors.

I dont want to be a code thief and use software without following all of
the appropriate licenses.  Since these names dont appear anywhere in the
credits file I will have to make my own notices to be compliant with
their licenses.  There are some other issues elsewhere as well I was
just wondering if anyone had actually documented them anywhere.

UK +44 870 340 4605   Germany +49 801 777 555 3402
US +1 360 207 0479 or +1 516 687 5200
FreeWorldDialup: 635378