[Asterisk-biz] DIDs (I think) in various countries

Tony Mountifield tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Thu Dec 15 06:40:00 MST 2005

I have some boxes hosted with a UK provider who provides colocation and
PSTN-to-SIP gatewaying.

I'm trying to understand how I can obtain domestic numbers in various
countries (including at first, Hong Kong) that would be routed via the
PSTN to our SIP provider. Is this how things are normally done? Or is
it more normal to use a domestic PSTN-to-SIP provider in the country
in question and transport to the UK via the Internet?

I'm a little concerned about the second option, as it make us more
vulnerable to the vagaries of the internet, but I have a feeling that
it is how costs are kept down.

In the long run, I would like a one-stop-shop where I can obtain domestic
numbers in many countries without having to deal with lots of different
companies.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers
Tony