[Asterisk-biz] Open Business Plan

Alan Gutierrez alan at engrm.com
Thu Dec 15 02:17:18 MST 2005

* Mike Fedyk <mfedyk at mikefedyk.com> [2005-12-15 03:42]:
> Schneider, Silvio wrote:
> >
> >>Business will never quite get the idea of giving away product or trade
> >>
> >secrets without having it be a loss leader.  That's just business, plain
> >and simple.
> >
> >So why then is asterisk open source? Think about it and rewire your
> >braincells.

> Because the software is the loss-leader...

Uh, huh. It sound like the high-school arguments against altrusim.

Q) Why then would a person give their time and money to the poor?
A) To alliveate their own guilt, thus giving to charity is a purely
    selfish act.

Thus, my response is.

The business case for open source was tacked on long after the fact.
    If you ask most open source programmers why the source is open,
    "loss-leader" is not on the tip of their tounge.

Fine, an open business plan for retail Asterisk is a "loss-leader".

    I have a cunning plan.

    I'll leverage the mindshare of technical community and take my
    upside on the synergisitic innovation that maximizes stakeholder
    value in a win-win open partner scenario.

Anyhoo..

http://engrm.com/wiki/Asterisk/Business_Plan

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan at engrm.com - http://engrm.com/blogometer/