[Asterisk-biz] Small / embedded system recommendations

janvb at caselaboratories.com janvb at caselaboratories.com
Tue Dec 13 03:10:33 MST 2005

hi,

>According to the gpl faq, and I dont like their interpretation (lawyers
>have said they misquote some of the underlying laws as well so meh) php
>code that is interpreted is 'linking' to the mysql code because php
>provides bindings to these libraries.
>
>As such you may write 100% your own code but if it uses libraries the
>FSF will say you must issue a compatible license, although this has
>never been tested in court and I really doubt that anyone would even go
>as far as to suggest that code that you wrote 100% must fall under the
>gpl because of something like that...

I can't read this from the license? I would consider that if you use
libraries or other GPL'ed modules you would need to offer these, but you
can still offer your own code under a different license - And think
about it how much code exist that don't use portions of GPL'er libraries?

>if digium took openpbx guys to court for following the gpl, which they
>are doing they would cause more problems for themselves than for the
>openpbx guys.  There are no software patents taken there is no code
>being used without a license.  If digium didnt want the gpl for their
>license they shouldnt have picked it,

Sorry, I was not thinking about the openpbx guys directly (thought I
wrote so). My concern was more that since Digium claim a commercial
license on Asterisk there would be a conflict if someone start selling a
binary version of OpenPBX.

Jan