[Asterisk-biz] Help with learing Asterisk for the real world..

Robert Webb asterisk at ropeguru.com
Thu Dec 8 07:03:41 MST 2005

Hi all, hope this is not too off topic, but thought it fit
better here than any of the other lists.

I am in the IT field with some telecommunications
background knowledge. Mainly learning from when my father
worked for a telco and from keeping up the old Nortel PBX
here at work. My issue is that where I am employed they
have no plans on the drawing board of every trying to go
VoIP, espicially from an open source solution as they are
Microsoft finatics, because they will not justify the cost
nor the resources to research by buying hardware and
testing.

So here is my delimma. I am running asterisk in my home
running asterisk at home. I have no need for any of the
advanced dial plans and setups like there are out there in
the real world. But I want to gain more knowledge in
setting up asterisk and programming it dial plans. I
cannot afford T1 cards and other expensive gear off my
persoanl budget.

Can anyone give some insight as to a good direction to go
to try and learn all this. I will be finishing my MIS
degree in August 2006 and then want to concentrate on
learing some C programming so I can understand what is
going on behind the scenes. It is just lately between
school and work I have not had time to pick up trying to
learn C and asterisk.

Sorry if too off-topic and no, I am not trying to get
someone here to offer me a job. Only some insight into
understanding and being proficient in setting up some real
systems.

Regards,
Robert Webb