[Asterisk-biz] US e911 reminder

Paul digium-list at 9ux.com
Thu Dec 1 06:26:18 MST 2005

trixter aka Bret McDanel wrote:

>On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 21:59 -0500, Paul wrote:
>

>>I say this jokingly but think about the following hypothetical situation:
>>
>>1) Acme voip offers the best deal ever in retail voip plans. They can
>>only provide e911 to people in the Gotham City area so they do not
>>accept new customers from elsewhere.
>>
>>2) The word gets around on lists like these that all you have to do is
>>provide the address of a major office building in Gotham City in order
>>to signup with Acme. They don't dispute billing address being different
>>since it is quite common for the hq office in another city to pay the
>>bills for a branch office in Gotham City.
>>

>Read the rules VERY carefully.  The FCC puts the burden of accurate
>addresses on the consumer not the provider (gasp that almost makes
>sense!! *shock*).  Further you have to mail stickers but there is
>nothing that says you have to have address verification, delivery
>confirmation or even return service.  Broadvoice for example sends out
>stickers with no valid address (postcard stickers) so they dont have to
>deal with bad addresses - they will never know which get returned.

Which is exactly my point. With land lines the local CLEC/ILEC provide
an address from their database. Here in Maine they verify new
construction street addresses with the town office before they will
provide service. The startup e911 house numbering plan here was reviewed
by a comittee of volunteers who compared data provided by telcos, power
company and property tax assessor to maps. The maps were generated by a
company the state contracted. They used gps and legacy survey equipment
to determine correct house numbers for all existing residence and
business locations. Allowing the consumer to choose his own house number
goes against the grain here.

>>3) Eventually somebody connected with the PSAP notices that certain
>>addresses seem to have way too many new phone lines. They investigate
>>and learn how easily end users can put bogus information into the
>>system. The state and local governments take the issue up with Acme and
>>the FCC. The argument pushed hardest is that whatever is just and fair
>>for acme should fit all voip providers.
>>

>Odds are no, I dont think the psaps generally have the data before a
>call comes in, they are given in realtime the address info.  Further
>they wouldnt initiate an investigation usually.  Take the modesto
>california area, AMR (private ambulance company) does the PSAP.  They
>have no ability to start an investigation, only to pass anything off to
>the government (local/state police for example) and then the government
>gets to do the investigating.

First call resulting in dispatch to 123 main street suite 500 could
trigger an investigation if there is no suite 500 in the building.
Anything that sounds like a confused small child would likely result in
dispatch.