[Asterisk-biz] PRI and echo cancelation ...

David Mandelstam dm at sangoma.com
Mon Aug 22 07:29:35 MST 2005

In any line carrying AC there is always some electrical reflection at the
terminations unless the line termination is electrically perfect. The human
ear is so sensitive that reflections at the terminations of analog telephone
lines are almost always large enough to cause perceived echo.

However, all long distance (greater than 600km) calls are routinely echo
cancelled by the network, as are all cell phone calls. ISDN calls, being all
digital have no electrical echo, nor do other digital calls such as VoIP
connections. It is really only the local analog circuits that are a problem.

David Mandelstam