[Asterisk-biz] RE: C#/Mono/Asterisk was: IPManager is now template based

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Mon Aug 15 10:14:29 MST 2005

>He was talking about looking at mono in the past, wonder where that went?
>Anyone know what C# on mono on Linux is like?  Does the code require many
>changes etc?

In my experience, it works just fine. I develop on VS2003/2005, and then
copy code over the Linux, and it just runs. I have a webservice I
wrote/tested/debugged on Windows, deployed it with XSP on Linux, and it's
just been running there without any problems. .NET was designed to be quite
platform independent from the start, so unless you do Windows specific
things (like hardcode a path or use a Win32 library), you shouldn't run into
any problems.

Mono goes beyond .NET in a few areas. It has a Unix namespace, so you can
get Unix-specific functionality there too.

I think Mono has a linker too, so you can just compile Mono right into your
app, and thus avoid people having to install Mono.

The biggest problem is that the stupid VS2005 way of handling ASP.NET
projects isn't fully compatible with Mono's ASP.NET runtime (well, not the
Mono 1.0 release, obviously). But, from what I here, full 2.0 support is
mostly done.

BTW, I have some info on my site (www.atrevido.net), if you look around,
regarding Asterisk/C#/FastAGI/Mono/SOAP. Gundy's MONO-TONE library is quite
cool (and we're adding FastAGI support to it in about a week or two).

I'm still very keen on seeing how .NET and Asterisk can work together.
There's the obvious things like web portals and web services, but deeper
integration would be even better: You could have extensions written in any
language, with little perf impact!

-Michael