[Asterisk-biz] IPManager is now template based

smbPBX smbpbx at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 09:43:47 MST 2005

Matt:
I am ALWAYS grateful to someone like Thorben and the people at Coalescent
Systems (The AMP People) who are making Asterisk easy-to-use for someone
like me who is a non-programmer. My contribution can come from testing and
sharing my experiences, and of course, cash donations.

Open-source model does work - Redhat is a large public company. Digium is on
its way to make money from support, from their business version of Asterisk,
and their ever expanding hardware offerings. And I am sure - and hope - that
AMP people do well.

In my business experience, I have seen many successful commercial software
go open-source after the fact, just speed up the development process. The
almost-instant testing nad feedback is indeed very valuable to the
developer.

I, like you, would hope that Thorben would decide to go open source.

I do appreciate the dialog.

Regards,

On 8/15/05, Matt Riddell <matt.riddell at sineapps.com> wrote:

> smbPBX wrote:
> > Matt:
> > I am surprised at your response!!!
> >
> > Asterisk is open-source and that is why it so successful.
> > So are AMP, Flash Opeartor Panel, and Asterisk at Home and they all have a
> > great following. If you listen to some great open-soutce software
> > developers, they will tell you, among other things, that "making changes
> > requested by the community" is what makes the software better.
> >
> > Anyway, the question was about the plocy when the software is finally
> > released. Just getting a free download of a software doesn't add much
> value
> > if you plan to use it for any serious purpose, especailly if it is in
> early
> > beta and doesn't work well.
>
> :)
>
> Maybe I mistook your intentions.
>
> I have no problem with Open Source, but it is a gift from the developer to
> the
> community not something you hassle someone about.
>
> While I would love it if Thorben decided to open source his software, I'm
> already grateful to him for his contributions thus far.
>
> If 10% of the people who use Asterisk gave back as much as he did,
> Asterisk
> would be soooooooooooooooooooooo much bigger/better etc.
>
> If you head over to Thorben's site you'll notice he's also been working on
> pretty huge .net app for various monitoring/configuring/billing purposes
> which
> he has developed in close cooperation with the community at large.
>
> You have to also remember that sometimes code feels like it needs cleaning
> up
> before releasing as open source (especially if you take pride in your
> code).
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> Matt Riddell