[Asterisk-biz] Telcordia CLLI Code for IXC Switching Entity

LES.NET (1996) INC. voip at les.net
Sun Aug 14 14:50:09 MST 2005

Hello.

I'm deploying Asterisk as part of an IXC in Manitoba, Canada.

I know there are a few people who work and operate CLECs on the list, so I
figured this list would be an appropriate forum for finding an answer to
this question.

I've already got a CLLI POI code, and now they tell me I need to acquire a
CLLI Code for my Switch.  (That being asterisk)

This particular asterisk box is running DS1's with trunk side access to
the two access tandems in the province.

Customers can reach this switch by presubscribing to my long distnace
service, or by prefixing my CIC code 10-11-LES (10-11-537) to their
destination number.

(Also, I understand there is a Telcordia option where a carrier can pay
some license fee (like $30k) and then generate as many CLLI codes as they
like.
At this point this is not an option for me.  Is it possible to partner
with someone who has the CLLI license, so I don't have to drop $750 for
this CLLI code?)

The ILEC Carrier Service Group has not offered any assistance with which
switching entity is appropriate, as they are not obligated to do so.

This particular asterisk setup is not running any PRI's to it.  So my
hunch is the options with (Not appropriate for NPA NXX assignment) are the
likely candidates.  Also, I'm running MF on this, not SS7.

Telcordia options for a Switching Entity are:

*  End Office - Class V switch, provides dial tone to end users/customers.

*  Tandem Office - Class IV switch, establishes trunk-to-trunk
connections.(not appropriate for NPA NXX assignment)

*  Remote Switching System - Extension of host switch, performs Emergency
Stand Alone operation if host connection is lost.

*  Digital Packet Device - Transmission method using packet data
segments.(not appropriate for NPA NXX assignment)

*  ATM Switch - Identifies an Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM) switching
system.

*  Wireless/Mobile Switch - Includes PCS, RCC, Paging, MTSO, etc.

*  Call Agent - Soft Switch providing program and call control for
distributed network gateway equipment.(New Call Agents are not appropriate
for NPA NXX assignment)

*  Packet End Office - mutliple line/access and trunk gateways functioning
together as an end office switch in a Voice over Packet (VoP) network.**

*  Remote Packet End Office- line/access gateway(s) in VoP network
(similar to a PSTN remote switch).** Also requires identification of a
host switch with a CLLI Code such as a Packet End Office or digital
switch.

Gateways - **
*  Line/Access Gateway - Supports the line side interface to the VoP
network. Also capable of setting up a transport connection through the
core PSTN network when instructed by the Call Agent.

*  Trunk Gateway - Provides the interface between the PSTN digital trunk
facility and the VoP core network. Also capable of setting up a transport
connection through the core PSTN network when instructed by the Call
Agent.

*  Signaling Gateway - Provides signaling interconnection between the PSTN
SS7 network and the VoP network. (not appropriate for NPA NXX assignment).

--
Leslie Bester
LES.NET (1996) INC.