[Asterisk-biz] Asterisk Conusultant

Scott Sharkey ssharkey at linuxunlimited.com
Thu Aug 11 13:41:03 MST 2005

Lists wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 August 2005 19:05, Paul wrote:
>
>>Tom Rymes wrote:
>>Earlier this year I decided to make it firm policy
>>that I will not do business with determined losers. It typically goes
>>like this: I meet a new prospect who wants antivirus installed and some
>>software updates applied. He has a single PC and the apps include things
>>like quickbooks and contact manager. He bought the PC over 2 years ago
>>when he started the business. No backup has ever been done. He doesn't
>>believe in using hardcopy and file folders either. I explain to him that
>>if the hard drive fails he loses it all - his accounting data, saved
>>emails, contact info and so on. If he doesn't want to take care of the
>>backup situation I really don't want him as a client. People like that
>>will just beat up on you over time and money too much. Okay, now the
>>same guy gets a server because he wants to get into voip heaven. Problem
>>is he still has the same bad attitude. I guess I am too harsh calling
>>him all those bad names. They should have battered techie hotlines we
>>can call.
>

> You're less harsh to him than life is, that's for sure.
>
> We've all seen the guy who wants the cheapest possible solution. Cutting
> corners he can't afford to and so on. Ultimately he'll blame you and bitch to
> the world how bad you are. I agree, dump 'em.
>
> Owner says Oh, I need so and so. You'll deliver it and a bit more, because
> that's what I like to do. He bitches about the lower than usual price you
> gave him for not being lower, and wants even more discount. Happily running
> you out of business if that saves him a penny. He's not willing to exchange.
>
> Or refuses to make a backup and then cries when it's all gone.
>
> I always try to keep all my customers happy. But with that kind of customer
> you can't. So I send them elsewhere.
>
> Oh, I also try to make my customers independent of me. Educate him a bit
> everytime I see him. Makes for very good customer relations, and repeat
> business.

DON'T refuse to work for these guys -- introduce them to your biggest
competitor - the guy who keeps undercutting you for all the really
interesting jobs.  Or who promises to do the job for next to nothing to
win the bid, then immediately starts piling incremental bills.

Give these customer's that guys name, phone number, email address, and
business card, and tell them that he's way better than you, and cheaper
too!

<evil grin>
-Scott