[Asterisk-biz] Status of 911 for voip providers?

Michael Giagnocavo mgg-digium at atrevido.net
Mon Aug 8 08:56:53 MST 2005

>Everyone,
>
> I've been trying to keep up with this 911 issue for voip providers. Does
>anyone
>have a handle on:
>
>1. What must be done to be compliant?

Well, the FCC says you have to have E911 if your customers can place and
receive calls via the PSTN. The "E911" part is critical: just getting the
call to the PSAP or some call center isn't good enough. I'd say you'd need
to MSAG validate the address, then push it to the ALI databases so the PSAPs
get full address info that works with their response systems. This only
applies where this service exists in the first place (for wireline).

There are also other non-call-routing requirements, like the user being able
to update his registered location using only the CPE.

So my take on the main issues are:
	0 - Making your subscribers understand what situation they are in
w.r.t. E911.
	1 - Processing updates from clients, at least one way via phone.
	2 - Getting timely updates to the ALI.
	2 - Ensuring those updates are MSAG-valid addresses.
	3 - Getting the call to the right PSAP.
	5 - Ensuring the PSAP can get the full ALI/ANI information for that
call.
	6 - Making sure this is available nationwide.

Implied in this is that if your VoIP customers can move their device, then
you have to offer service to anywhere they can move it, inside the USA. So
that is a pain if you're a local CLEC and can connect 911 locally, since you
have to provide 911 service nationwide.

You could get around this by not allowing your customers to move. But you'd
actually have to implement a technical barrier that stops the client from
moving.

One thing I can say for sure; there's a LOT of confusion on what's needed
:). If you've read this list, you've probably seen a lot of different idea
on quick & easy ways to comply or get around the FCC ruling. Some people are
taking more risk than others.

>2. Are their any technical solutions that work as needed?

Well, there are some large companies that provide this, but as others have
written to the list many times before, sometimes the pricing can be out of
the range for VoIP providers.

As far as I know, no company on Earth has I-2 rolled out to every PSAP in
the USA (there's not even E911 for every PSAP even in wireline), nor is this
likely to ever happen. Some companies _have_ committed to do so and are well
on the way to do so. Some are more advanced than others and/or have better
resources to accomplish this. Some do great marketing and pretend that
they've implemented their own complete solution, when they actually just buy
from another company. Other companies are just making up their own 911
solution and hoping no one will notice.

Google around for VoIP 911. Take a look at HBF, Intrado, Level (3), TCS.
Enjoy.

Disclaimer:
I work for Dash911. www.dash911.com

Plug:
At Dash911, we deal with one of the large 9-1-1 companies that others have
mentioned, so we have a solid "backbone". Our model is to aggregate many
"smaller" (~100-50,000 subscribers) VoIP companies and thus provide
reasonable prices and access to 9-1-1 services. Our startup costs are very
low, our integration requirements are very small, and our monthly prices are
extremely reasonable. With Dash911, you can outsource your entire 9-1-1
infrastructure, including handling updates via phone 24x7 (we'll run the
call center for you). Feel free to call me at 1-303-532-1858.
-Michael