[Asterisk-biz] voip termination deployment models

Jon Lobley john at leetop.net
Wed Apr 27 04:50:20 MST 2005

I've seen a lot of talk on this and other lists all of which hint at various
deployment models for VoIP termination.  I see a lot of people using
Asterisk to terminate IAX2/SIP at the wholesale level, and there are a lot
of sites out there offering retail SIP services to broadband users with
pre-paid PSTN breakout.  My question is, are they (you) loading up the
Asterisk servers with T1/E1 ISDN-30's or are they passing the calls on to a
separate SIP gateway with TDM interfaces, or are they passing the calls on
to carriers via native SIP?

Is SER more appropriate as an intermediary proxy with asterisk at the core,
or is SER at the core with Asterisk providing supplimentary services such as
VM & IVR more common?

Regards,

John