[Asterisk-biz] anti trust law against cisco , good for the industry.

Craig asterisk at nihost.net
Tue Apr 26 16:49:01 MST 2005

Message: 7
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 16:14:23 -0500
From: Eric Wieling aka ManxPower <eric at fnords.org>
Subject: Re: [Asterisk-biz] 	anti trust law against cisco ,	good for
	the industry.
To: Commercial and Business-Oriented Asterisk Discussion
	<asterisk-biz at lists.digium.com>

Adrian Chapman wrote:
> Rehan Ahmed AllahWala - Super Technologies I wrote:
>
>> A very experienced telecom company chairman last claimed to me that
>> if
>> att would not have been broken into the baby bells, today we would
not
>> have cell phones.
>

> Without wanting to comment on the wisdom or otherwise of the
> Cisco/Sipura deal, and without being a vast expert on AT&T...
>
> How, exactly, could AT&T have prevented cellphones taking off?
>
> I mean, they were only ever in the US, and there's a hell of a lot of
> the rest of the world out there - most of which the US is desperately
> trying to play catch-up with on mobiles. GSM. 3G.

By refusing to provide PSTN connections to the cell companies.

Yes and very few places in the world have landline to mobile call rates
anything like the US. Australia for instance pay between 30-50c for
landline to mobile calls, mainly due to a lack of serious competition in
interconnect to the fixed network.