[Asterisk-biz] Re: USA Termination

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Mon Apr 25 12:06:12 MST 2005

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005, Matthew Simpson wrote:

> I was waiting for you or Alex to chime in with that.  If you're not
> buying from an IXC like Qwest or Global crossing you can get rates at
> 0.005 and below for all tiers, including NECA.  The interconnect cost is
> 0.003 or less, so selling at 0.005 or 0.0075 would be profitable.
Uh how's that? Whoever you buy from has to pay NECA access tariff.

> You can go out and buy foreign<-->US settlement traffic for 0.006
> through 0.015 blended that includes NECA all day long.
Yeah, but that's borderline illegal ;)

See lawsuits thrown around between SBC/Verizon and ATT/MCI.

> I know it can suck to be a "wholesaler" out there reselling IXC routes
> and get hit with the new VoIP guys selling below your "cost", but if
> you're still buying and selling on the old TDM model, you'd better be
> selling to end-users, because nobody else will pay those prices for
> routes.  Our company is glad to see more VoIP wholesalers out there, if
> someone's cheaper than we are, we'll buy from them, and it's just better
> for the industry all around.
TDM or not TDM, the bottom line is, there's access tariff. How do you
get around that? I'm not aware that if you trunk into each individual EO,
you somehow avoid paying access tariff. (I think there's a specific
different tariff for direct-EO interconnect but to my knowledge it is
identical to access tariff).

-alex