[Asterisk-biz] Re: 911 legislation

David Josephson dlj at altaphon.com
Fri Apr 22 11:32:23 MST 2005

>Well, I keep asking myself the big question...
>
>Why not GPS?
>
>People can now be located for 911 purposes using GPS devices imbedded in
>their phones right?

Only in limited instances; it has not been universally successful, see
the article in Consumer Reports
http://www.consumerreports.org/main/content/display_report.jsp?WebLogicSession=Qmk7mkfww5yghQmT721tknDInJ0FgEeEkMk1YrC29BppoSr5XE21|-5812390185450324277/169937913/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1|-6185286871948317168/169937904/6/7005/7005/7002/7002/7005/-1&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=378647&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=333133&bmUID=1114192794902

 "GPS technology" does not necessarily mean there's a GPS receiver in
the phone. Some carriers use this system, in others GPS is used as a
timing reference among cell sites (each of which has one or more GPS
receivers) to allow triangulation to find out where the phone is, but
each system depends on two-way communication between the phone and the
cell sites to determine distances. You need either clear view of three
satellites or contact with several base stations.

>So, why hasn't any of the manufacturers tried to imbed GPS in an ATA?

Because GPS requires a fairly unobstructed view of a chunk of the sky to
function.

If VoIP were to function on a wireless basis, with radio communications
to sites having known locations, this would be possible because you can
measure the time it takes for the signal to go and come back to the
mobile. For wired VoIP, no. Now of course you could require the ATA to
have a GPS dongle in a window that could see the sky well enough to
update once in a while. Maybe J. Q. Public would accept that, maybe not.

There are other ways to locate portable devices that are used in a fixed
location precisely enough for E911 (FCC hopes for 50 meter accuracy 66%
of the time, which seems silly, particularly in cities) that don't
require GPS. This is more of a business model problem (which is why I'm
posting here) than a technical one. That's possible for me to say only
because I'm an RF engineer and have designed a couple of approaches
based on existing technology that would work for this. It's definitely
on a far back burner for me, however. If someone would like to take this
concept to market, email me at vbiz at altaphon.com. It would be fairly
simple to prototype such a system, and there is no significant
regulatory barrier to setting it up nationwide.