[Asterisk-biz] FW: 911 Legislation

Me mylist at lightwavetech.com
Fri Apr 22 08:21:12 MST 2005

Well, I keep asking myself the big question...

Why not GPS?

People can now be located for 911 purposes using GPS devices imbedded in
their phones right?

So, why hasn't any of the manufacturers tried to imbed GPS in an ATA?

This was one of our billion dollar ideas but taking on this task ourselves
would be more than we could/want to handle.

Why not follow what the cell phone people have done regarding 911, not only
with GPS but just in general? It's the same concept! A device that is or
could be mobile and not attached to a specific address.

Maybe I am missing something but... Why is this so hard for all of us to
figure out? Can we not just do whatever the cell phone people are doing? As
for laws, why are we looked at so differently than cell phone providers when
it comes to 911?

Is it that we need to start calling our devices Mobile or Portable phones
devices? Maybe we can call them TRAVEL CAPABLE phones which in my opinion
would put us right under the same rules as cell phones.

I am just babbling here, just ideas and thoughts. It's entirely possible
that I have missed some HUGE reasons why many of the things I have said
above just don't make sense.