[Asterisk-biz] FW: 911 Legislation

Rusty Shackleford john97 at flatline.com
Thu Apr 21 16:06:27 MST 2005

OnStar uses GPS, which can, on a good day, get you within a few feet.
The vast majority of cell phones aren't equipped with GPS receivers. And
of course, GPS doesn't work when it can't see a significant chunk of the
sky.

As for "tower triangulation", no. That's the myth we've been sold, but
it is rubbish.
In some areas, if may be true, but most of the footprint of any given
cellular service is nowhere near dense enough with "towers" to provide
this kind of resolution. Those areas that are dense enough with towers,
are SO dense with physical locations (cars, offices, apartments) and
people (crowds), that your 100 yards can take up to 30 minutes to search
in order to find the caller. And, of course, we haven't even discussed
the logistical hoops involved in commencing this process.

In other words, cellular customers can NOT rely on a database to
instantly show the dispatcher where the other end of a particular phone
call is, the way that PSTN customers can.