[Asterisk-biz] FW: 911 Legislation

Alexander Lopez alex.lopez at opsys.com
Thu Apr 21 12:08:03 MST 2005

You CAN send a 911 call to any 10 digit number, The police, fire and of
course the PSAP, It will not however have the Location Information that
many people 'expect' and that is the root of the problem. People expect
it to e that way, you may have all the contacts and hold harmless
documents in place, and you may win in a court of law in a lawsuit.

If you want to be safe, the best tried and true way to do it is have an
Asterisk server with a single port FXO card on a lifeline type line at
the site. This covers you in case of ISP failure, power failure, and
anything else that can go wrong with IP.

Funny thing about IP Telephony, is that it is MORE REIABLE than what we
base our 'mission-critical' telephony networks on.  Packet Switched data
has the ability to be rerouted due to any mishap. The traditional TDM
network can be compared to black and white television whereas the IP
networks we have today are more akin to High Definition TV!!!

We (the Asterisk community) have been able, thanks to the project
started by Mark, to take control of a network that was built to be
closed and controlled by one.  Like the Phone Phreaks of the 70's we are
the new Blue Boxers.. We don't steal phone service, nor do we try to
defraud, but we are playing in their sandbox.

Alex