[Asterisk-biz] FW: 911 Legislation

Alexander Lopez alex.lopez at opsys.com
Wed Apr 20 19:22:16 MST 2005

 If you have entered into a contract with your customer and have
disclosed the fact that you do not have, or in fact have untraditional
911 services then.................

http://cobrands.business.findlaw.com/newcontent/flg/ch9/st2/st21/qa2.htm

Q : What if the contract became unenforceable because something made it
illegal after the people agreed to it?

A : Generally speaking, the Constitution forbids lawmakers from passing
laws that would impair the rights people bargain for in contracts.
Therefore, a contract is usually considered by courts in light of the
law which applied at the time the contract was made -unless the change
in the law involves a compelling public policy.

For example, a contract between a railroad and a property owner who
leased a right-of-way to the railroad provided that the railroad was not
responsible for any fire damage to the property caused by locomotives.
Later, the state legislature made it illegal to fail to keep certain
precautions against fire damaging an adjoining property. The court held
that, even if that law would have made the contract illegal (because it
didn't include the newly-required precautions), because it was passed
after the contract was made it did not affect the contract.

Typically, however, courts say that because of a change in public policy
as a result of the change in the law, they will not enforce the old
contract. Obviously, a contract to sell someone a slave could not be
enforced after slavery became illegal; neither could you enforce a
contract to purchase a banned assault rifle that was made before the ban
went into effect. This works both ways: a contract that was illegal when
made usually will not be enforced, even though it would be legal if
entered into today. One case involved a contract which violated wartime
price-controls, entered into when those controls were in effect, which
one of the parties wanted enforced after the war. The court ruled that a
contract that was so damaging to the public good when made (and when no
change in the law was anticipated) should never be enforced. To do so
would have been to provide an incentive to enter into illegal contracts
in the hope that they will someday be enforceable a bad prescription for
effective public policy.
I do not think that 'regulation' can be forced upon an unregulated
medium. I know that that is what happened in the Airline, Telco, Energy,
etc., etc., etc...... But politicians give there ear to the Lobbyist and
PACs. We (consumers, SMB, and others) do not get the 'eartime' the
others do.  There is much speculation about the future of unregulated
VoIP, I think the Telcos learned a big leason with the Internet Boom.
They may just offer a better product and win out that way.

If you can put together an ITSP with a shoestring budget, what can a
multi-BILLION corporation do????

Public policy in this case is freedom to choose price vs. features, let
the consumers decide. Nothing gets the point across faster than the P/L
statement.