[Asterisk-biz] FW: 911 Legislation

steve szmidt steve at szmidt.org
Wed Apr 20 14:24:55 MST 2005

On Wednesday 20 April 2005 15:58, jltaylor wrote:
> I couldn't agree with you more...
> I still believe that the states can't regulate it.
>
> However, assuming that in the most recent panic, some type of legislation
> may pass, it would be helpful to assist in crafting it...

And in dealing with legislatures you have to know how slippery they are. Kind
of like a so called journalist. They get your name as a participant and then
railroad you. When asked they say that voip providers were consulted. See
there's your name.

So when it comes down to getting signatures you have not been able to ensure
that your view is properly represented to the poor shlep who signs the bill
on the word of the forementioned, thinking that it's OK because your view is
represented.

These guys don't even read most of the bills placed for their signature. They
are too busy to read them. So all sorts of crap is dragged in with "popular"
bills.

I've seen this in DC and it does not vary a lot with local gov's. Publicity is
good for these kinds of things as politicians usually notice public opinion.
News At Five! kind of stuff.

You can only be sure the TELCO's are right in there pitching their ideas, and
offering money. When you support your man you also get his ear. God knows
what you might convince him on.

When one state comes up with this all national TELCO's are right in there
since that may swing more states. Remember the TELCO's are the ones who have
lost with FCC so far. And don't be so naive to think this is not how your
representative operates. Just get up there and observe and you'll be
surprised how much power big business have in DC.

This is how the system was designed by our forefathers. Unlike now people took
part in the system.

Otherwise I agree, it's obviously better to be part of helping wording it.
--

Steve Szmidt

"They that would give up essential liberty for temporary safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                                Benjamin Franklin