[Asterisk-biz] Large Asterisk Setup (~500 Concurrent Calls + Scalability)

Matt Roth mroth at imminc.com
Wed Apr 20 14:20:08 MST 2005

Allow me to clarify that statement.  The traffic on the PCI bus to the
CPU is the bottleneck.  We have sent emails to Digium regarding multiple
quad-span cards in a single PC-class machine and they recommended
against it for this reason.

 From the Digium emails:
 - I'd use two machines, with two quad cards each.  And then, I'd need
to be using only the G.711 ulaw protocol.  Then, I'd still use a
mid-range dual Xeon CPU machine in the 2.4GHz+ spectrum.

We do not want to be limited to the G.711 ulaw codec and we would need
at least four quad-span cards for a single machine setup.  Any single
machine setup also has inherent scalability issues.

Matthew Roth
http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index.php?page=Running%20Asterisk%20on%20Debian