[Asterisk-biz] Forklift a 2000 phone PBX - 5000 calls up - WAY up

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Apr 17 19:05:59 MST 2005

Brian West wrote:

> But then again when you compare the cost of one SGI box vs 5-8 dual
> p4/xeon boxes.  We are now on equal ground.

Oh, I don't know about that... this goes back to the PC vs.
mainframe/minicomputer discussions people have been having for years.

If you put in five dual Xeon boxes to handle those 5k calls, with some
sort of load-balancing/failover system, you are in a far better
situation than running those calls through a single Altix brick.
"Graceful failure" is always preferred to complete service outage, and
avoiding outages with the Altix solution requires buying _two_ bricks,
so now you're back to an expensive solution again.