[Asterisk-biz] Forklift a 2000 phone PBX - 5000 calls up - WAY up

Bicom Systems senad at bicom.us
Sun Apr 17 10:33:30 MST 2005

asterisk-biz-bounces at lists.digium.com wrote:
> alex at pilosoft.com wrote:
>
>> I'm still confused. Is Paul handling (media and all, not just SIP
>> referring) 5000 calls on Asterisk? If so, on *any* kind of hardware,
>> that's impressive. If not, it's not impressive at all, on any kind of
>> hardware.
>
> It's not clear to me at all; some of us "Digium geeks" discussed this
> at VON and a few times since then, and I have not yet seen any
> detailed report of the test methodology. Paul's response from earlier
> in this thread implies they did have media transfer, but people have
> told me that SIPP does not do media at all, and their published
> 'report' says they used SIPP.

> I would love to see the test methodology and actual measured numbers
> reported, both so we can learn just how good their system may be, and
> also so others can run the equivalent test on different platforms to
> learn just what is important in handling call volume. For example, I
> did not mention the clock speed difference between the two platforms
> they tested, because everyone knows that CPU clock speed is one the
> less important factors here, behind memory bandwidth, I/O bandwidth
> and interrupt response latency (also, their Itanium 2 box has only a
> 400MHz FSB, but since it is 64 bits wide I figure that's comparably
> to a P4's 800MHz FSB).

Exactly my thinking...
We are actually getting an Altix 350 very shortly to give it a "fry" ...
We shall not use SIPP only but instead use a serious of "real life" scenario
tests.

> Paul's comments about the 6.4GB/s bus also intrigue me: my
> understanding of the Altix platform is that this high-speed bus is
> used for node-to-node interconnect, not internally within the nodes.

I am not an hardware expert, but from my understanding, total numaflex bus
speed
is 51GBbits (ie 6GBytes ~ ) and that is what makes it capable of 5000+ calls
:)