[Asterisk-biz] Forklift a 2000 phone PBX - 5000 calls up - WAY up

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Sun Apr 17 09:51:33 MST 2005

On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

> > hardware". You compared a box with 2 64-bit CPUs with 4MB of cache
> > each against 2 32-bit CPUs with 512KB of cache each. Like all press
> > releases and statistics, the results will be based on what you chose
> > to compare :-) I suspect that a comparison against a dual Opteron box
> > would prove very interesting to those looking for a 5,000 call
> > solution...
> I'm still confused. Is Paul handling (media and all, not just SIP
> referring) 5000 calls on Asterisk? If so, on *any* kind of hardware,
> that's impressive. If not, it's not impressive at all, on any kind of
> hardware.
I've read up more on Signate's hardware - seems that its based on SGI's
NUMA-based solution. Doing 5000 calls on a dual Itanium is certainly
fairly impressive, but I'd like to see more details - what exactly is
being done to the calls (i.e. echo or milliwatt or ...?). I am not so sure
that it would scale linearly as they expect in NUMA architecture - cache
coherency issues will rear its ugly head very quickly. (If they are
planning to have single asterisk instance.  obviously 8 separate instances
would handle 5000 calls each).

-alex