[Asterisk-biz] Forklift a 2000 phone PBX - 5000 calls up - WAY up

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Sun Apr 17 09:42:58 MST 2005

Paul Mahler wrote:

> By our calculations, 5000 SIP channels = 10000 ulaw stream @ 80k  stream = .8
> gigabit. Our total available bus bandwidth is arount 56 Gbps, as compared to
> the pc with about 128 Mbps. We can add a bunch of NICs, so blowing past 1Gb
> isn't really a problem.

That is incorrect. A standard PC PCI bus (old-style) does 132 megaBYTES
per second (33 MHz x 32 bit transfer). Any modern server-class PC
supports PCI-X, and can easily quadruple that, without even taking into
considering multiple peer PCI busses.

> Anyway, whatever it is we are testing, we get over 5000 of them before the MOS
> starts to degrade. This is compared to 300 of them on a PC based machine with
> comparable hardware before call quality degrades.

The test results you have published to date did not use "comparable
hardware". You compared a box with 2 64-bit CPUs with 4MB of cache each
against 2 32-bit CPUs with 512KB of cache each. Like all press releases
and statistics, the results will be based on what you chose to compare
:-) I suspect that a comparison against a dual Opteron box would prove
very interesting to those looking for a 5,000 call solution...