[Asterisk-biz] Forklift a 2000 phone PBX - 5000 calls up - WAY up

Paul Mahler psvwm at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 16 19:42:23 MST 2005

>5000 Users at once on Asterisk?   There is no way in hell that will happen
>even if everyone is using the same codex.
>

>Steve

A codex is a "a manuscript volume, especially of a classic work or of the
Scriptures." A codec, on the other hand, is a compressor decompressor. So, is
this a technical thread or a religious thread?  ;-)

By our calculations, 5000 SIP channels = 10000 ulaw stream @ 80k  stream = .8
gigabit. Our total available bus bandwidth is arount 56 Gbps, as compared to
the pc with about 128 Mbps. We can add a bunch of NICs, so blowing past 1Gb
isn't really a problem.

We ran the benchmark with app_milliwatt which sends the audio on one side of
the call. SIP by default will echo back anything it recieves on rtp ports which
will completes the round trip.

Anyway, whatever it is we are testing, we get over 5000 of them before the MOS
starts to degrade. This is compared to 300 of them on a PC based machine with
comparable hardware before call quality degrades.

So yes, we are getting 5000 calls on one base unit, and we can cluster more
base units on the same bus for a LOT of calls.