[Asterisk-Biz] SS7 available for Asterisk

Kevin P. Fleming kpfleming at digium.com
Fri Apr 15 12:35:05 MST 2005

Alex Pui wrote:

> I confess that I am not expert on GPL. But by reading the following link, I
> still don't find which part gave Digium and only Digium the right to make
> money on Asterisk licensing?

Copyright. It has nothing to do with the GPL specifically.

There are two groups of code in Asterisk:

One group is copyright Mark/Digium, because they either wrote it, paid
for it to be written, or the copyright was given to them. This code can
be licensed in any way that they see fit.

The other group is copyright by the contributor(s), but with a license
granted to Digium allowing them to distribute it in any fashion that
they wish.

This does not mean that some other company cannot sell copies of
Asterisk, it just means that the copies they sell can _only_ be licensed
under the GPL, because that is the license under which they obtained the
code from Digium. Only the copyright holder or a license grantee can
re-license the code.