[Asterisk-biz] PBX Hardware Business

Adrian Chapman adrian at trivas.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 03:31:16 MST 2005

Chassignet benjamin wrote:

> I don't have a full knowledge about GPL license. So I wonder if it is possible to launch a business in integrated PBX (Hardware+Asterisk+interface) without paying something to Digium for that (except of course G.729 licenses for end-user and ISDN cards in case). Moreover, if I don't need to pay a fee, do I need to notice Digium about this Business?

No, that's cool. Anybody's free to use Asterisk for whatever purposes
they require, just as with "moneyware".

Where the GPL comes into play is that you can "open the bonnet" and take
it a step further - it won't do what you require? No problem. You can
modify it, fix it, extend it.

The only thing is that you can't then close and sell any modifications -
you have to make them available to the whole Asterisk community under
the GPL. You can sell your services based around Asterisk -
implementation, support, consultancy. No problem.

If you want to make a "closed", "moneyware" product around Asterisk,
THEN you have to buy a licence from Digium.

Hardware, you have to pay for...

--
Adrian Chapman
Director