[Asterisk-biz] list of "business class" voip providers

alex at pilosoft.com alex at pilosoft.com
Thu Apr 7 11:56:12 MST 2005

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Thomas Miller wrote:

> Snacktimes interesting comment about cheap providers got me thinking. I
> am interested in compiling a list of "Business class" voip providers
> that have an excellent reputation for:
>
> #1) First and foremost most important for me: UPTIME.
> #2) good colo with Tier 1 connectivity
> #3) Sends email warning customers of system
> configuration changes
> #4) ALWAYS answers email within 1 hour
> #5) ALWAYS answers phone calls to "tech support"
Are you prepared to pay accordingly? If yes, why don't you just get a TDM
circuit from a real carrier, which matches all of the above? Or buy SIP
termination/origination from a real carrier? Sure, it's expensive, but
here's why: Colo isn't all that expensive. What is expensive is *clued
humans*.  Colo may be a difference between 100$ and 1000$/month - but an
intelligent engineer will cost 10k$/month, plus a staff of support guys at
3k$/month each, plus night shift coverage at xx$/month, plus sales/billing
support, etc.

Too many people want lemonade stand prices but expect restaurant customer
service.

-alex